Sunday 10 June 2007

I hate my Sketchbook

Yep I really do. I have a big black A4 hard back sketchbook that I bought because it was cheep. Now, I like most Illustrators love moleskine sketchbooks. I love the off white paper, the size of them, the elastic strap that holds them together, the pocket in the back and, best of all in my opinion, the rounded corners so they don't catch on other stuff in your bag. The problem is, they ain't cheep. Not by half. I could buy 4 of the big black A4 sketchbooks for the price of one moleskine. Other companies do make moleskine copies for less dollar but the quality of the paper is very substandard. "So what's wrong with your big black one" you ask? It's too big, it bangs on my back in my bag and I don't like A4 paper to draw on. My compulsion is to fill it and my line work is affected as the movements my wrist makes are unnatural. Oh and it's not a moleskine. Sweet moleskine, oh how I miss my moleskine...

To clear up and pre-empt another question, I know sketchbooks are not fire resistant. That's not part of my complaint. So there. But it would be cool to have one that was fire proof... if I was a fireman Illustrator I'd need one of those... then I'd get ALL the girls...