Sunday 26 August 2007

Attacking Hands

How's this brown? Ok? Oh I give up. This sketch turned up this week, not sure from where, not sure why I feel like I'm being attacked from all sides! Not even sure if the silhouette is supposed to be me to tell you the truth. The real issue for me was how realistic I should make the hands. I started off drawing them a little wildly, always a big mistake for me as I have a tendency to go overboard with the exaggeration.

A very tricky thing exaggeration. Especially for a sketch monkey like me who flits between caricature, cartoons, and arty-er illustration styles entirely dependent on mood. Hands, especially, are a battle ground for me, one that I'm never quite sure I'm winning. Whilst playing around with hands and arms lately, a devise that's really interesting me, I drew this hand that I'm completely passionate about.



Now the reason I feel I've cracked it with this one is that the balance between simplification, exaggeration, and realism is bang on. It's not a realistic hand by any stretch of the imagination, but it does conform to a hand's proportions and potential mannerism's and movements.

The main sketch features loads of hands drawn in all possible styles and, to be honest, with all possible successes! I think if I was to attempt this drawing again, and I'm quite tempted to, I think I'll try to add in a load more hands, more hands than arms in fact, and really try to keep an even treatment in the style of them.

There, I think I've nailed what's wrong with it now. And I've just looked at the clock. I've been whittering on about hands at 5 to one in the mroning on a Sunday night. Yes , obsession has finally sunk in. I'm quitting and going to bed.

Goodnight!

P.S. I'm going to dream of hands all night now...